TheFrog.org  
 · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search · Post Count morphs

talk to the frog / Help / Please help WTF's all getting sick and dieing
Author Message
frogopolis
Member
322 posts
322 posts

# Posted: 17 Oct 2004 09:25


All our baby WTF are all getting sick. We just had another pass away. This one went into convulsions and looked like he was choking or something. Kind of like a seizure. Then he started to sweat and bubbling white stuff from the back of his head. PLEASE HELP.
The other one now looks really thin and a little lathargic.

The only thing we can think of is the live plants we just put in 2 weeks ago. I saw that some of us were using Philodendron's, but I did some research and it says they are poisonous. We also have some Ivy in the tank.

PLEASE HELP. WHAT SHOULD WE DO????!!

sdnavy
Member
425 posts
425 posts

# Posted: 17 Oct 2004 16:24


How long have yuo had these guys?
Did you quarenteen them before integrating them together, and into your tank?
Were your plants from a home center such as Home Dept? (They often have fertilizer in with thier plants that are toxic to amphibians.)


First seperate all of the frogs into individual tanks. If you do not have extra tanks simple tupperware or storage boxes will do. Ensure these are very clean and if you think they may still have some remnant of detergent on them rince then in a simple solution of salt water, no more than 1 tblespoon per gallon. Then place paper towles in the bottom of these containers and monitor the heath of the frogs. Don't forget to include a water dish. Now remove everything from your tank and clean it throughly. After a few weeks of quarenteen they should be fine to return to the original tank.


Go Navy!
spydergirl4594
Member
1607 posts
1607 posts

# Posted: 17 Oct 2004 16:44


The frogs have definately come into contact with some sort of chemical or toxin. Thats what that white foam would represent. Has someone accidentally sprayed the frogs tank with the wrong bottle? Sprayed any sort of cleaning spray or such near the frogs tank? Have you been treating the water youve given them? If so,what with?

In order to save these frogs your going to have to do some sort of detox. I would do like Navy says and seperate everyone individually. Make sure everyones new cage is very clean. Make the paper towels damp now instead of dry,and make sure you include a water dish. Make sure the water throughout the tank is treated, must be treated! Good luck with everything. I cant guarentee my plan will work, but there really isnt much else you can do.


-Sheryl
frogopolis
Member
322 posts
322 posts

# Posted: 17 Oct 2004 18:34


could the plants be poisonous? I soaked the plants before I put them in. Im also using these plants in the adult tank, but they seem fine. It also seems its the smaller babies getting sick.

Anonymous


# Posted: 17 Oct 2004 23:13


If you researched them and found they are poisonous, and have Ivy in there, and encounter problems, isn't it obvious what the problem is? How bout getting NON POISONOUS PLANTS! It's really not hard to find an alternative plant-remember, they don't encounter these plants in australia high up in the canopy.
frogopolis
Member
322 posts
322 posts

# Posted: 18 Oct 2004 06:50


I DID DO RESEARCH AND SAW THAT OTHERS HERE ARE USING PHILODONDRAS. I have now taken the plants out, i wanted to know if it is the plants definitly or not.

lostriver
Member
1737 posts
1737 posts

# Posted: 18 Oct 2004 07:44


It's not the plants, poisonous or not. Frogs don't eat plants. The only danger from toxic plants is if they exude aerosols or the more "leap and get-em" frogs ingest a bit of leaf while after their food. It is doubtful that your frogs were poisoned by either ivy or philodendron. Concentrate on the other factors that may have been a problem and follow Sheryl's detox suggestions. I have both ivy and various philodendron species in all of my dart tanks. I use curly ivy in my nursery tanks with no problem. It may be toxic to certain insects that prey on ivy, but it is not toxic to frogs that don't eat it.


Lee
Anonymous


# Posted: 24 Oct 2004 06:56


One does not have to eat poison to get poisoned. For example, walking through a forest, one develops rashes on the shins. Now, if frogs' skin is MORE sensitive than ours, as has always been known, is it not possible to hurt the frog?
Anonymous


# Posted: 25 Oct 2004 05:42


Im not sure what that comment means. So what are you saying poisoned the frog? I found out that the other 2 died from worms which weakened there immune system. Im having the other tested now.
Anonymous


# Posted: 25 Oct 2004 05:42


Im not sure what that comment means. So what are you saying poisoned the frog? I found out that the other 2 died from worms which weakened there immune system. Im having the other tested now.
lostriver
Member
1737 posts
1737 posts

# Posted: 27 Oct 2004 03:24


When you walk through a forest and get a rash on your shins, that doesn't mean that you have contacted some toxic plant. You may have an allergy to certain plants or it may be mosquitos in the grass that are biting you. Frogs are less likely to develoop allergies as humans do. Their immune systems are more simple.


Lee
Your answer

Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link                    Disable BB codes *What's that?

 » Name  » Password 
 Only registered users can post here. Enter your login/password correctly before posting a message, or register first.
 

talk to the frog / Help / Please help WTF's all getting sick and dieing
 · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search · Post Count morphs


Powered by miniBB forum software © 2001-2019