|# Posted: 20 May 2004 05:43
Overnight one of my driftwood pieces sprouted mushrooms. I removed it immediately for the fear that the mushrooms would hurt or make my Red-Eye ill. I figure that tommorow I'll have to tear the tank down and throughly clean to get the spores out of the substrate. Would the mushrooms hurt my frog? I would also like to salvage my driftwood piece as it is beautiful, and my frog loves climbing it. Is there any way to throughly clean it so that it can be used again and safe for my frog? Any advice appriciated.
|# Posted: 20 May 2004 06:38
If I remember old topics here a lot of people think mushrooms are fine. So unless they were deathcaps or something it's probably OK to leave it in.
|# Posted: 20 May 2004 07:04
Unless you are planting the good kind of mushrooms in your tank you should be fine.
Mushrooms are a sign that your microenviroment is doing good. I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to, you can remove them from the tank when they sprout. But I wouldn't go as far as breaking down your tank, cause its actually a good thing.
We can never go back to the way it was...
|# Posted: 20 May 2004 12:20
Mushrooms are a fungus, and fungus live off of other things to thrive. Your piece of wood is dead, so the mushroom is living off of it.
Derek Benson - Phyllomedusa/Hyperolius Enthusiast
|# Posted: 20 May 2004 16:48
As far as spores I wouldn't be concerned. Mushrooms dont produce spores immediately on sprouting, they have to mature first. If you caught them within 12 hours or so, I would be highly suprised if they produced any.
No Longer Frogless in Georgia
|# Posted: 21 May 2004 02:42
I celebrate the "sprouting" of any kind of mushroom in my dart frog tanks. This means it's healthy and cycling. Different mushrooms may come and go, but just enjoy them when they appear. Nothing lives in a sterile environment, not even pet frogs. No way is a mushroom sprouting going to make your Red-eye ill. Mushrooms are not pathogens. While some may be toxic to ingest, your frog is not ingesting them. He might however, get sick if you disturb everything and take it down, stressing him and making way for true pathogens.
As long as all other conditions such as temperature and humidity are right for the frog, the stuff that grows naturally on logs or substrate is not going to harm him. You cannot by any means get rid of mushrooms or fungus spores that float in the air for many miles. Even if you take your tank down, something else would settle in it eventually. Nothing lives in a bubble, free from other life. If it is not something directly pathogenic, which mushrooms and and normal environmental molds are not, (exception is immunocompromised people, but that's a different subject) don't fight it. Normal flora actually takes up the space that could be occupied by potential pathogens. So whenever we attempt to "sterilze" something, we are killing off the normal flora competitors, actually making space for pathogens to invade. This also happens when we use broad spectrum antibiotics for every tiny ailment, no matter if it is a bacteria or not. Think "clean" as far as water changes and washing down poop, etc., but the more life there is in there, the better balance you will have in the long run.
Rejoice that your tank is healthy enough to grow mushrooms.
I step down from my soap box.