TheFrog.org  
 · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search · Post Count morphs

talk to the frog / General chat / Mysterious Cat Death
Author Message
Dakhota
Member
3302 posts
3302 posts

# Posted: 2 Sep 2007 06:54


So my girlfriend's very healthy cat passed away suddenly . . It's a weird story & I was wondering if any of you had encountered this before: (This is direct off my facebook):

I don't know what happened for sure. I was working & Benjamin was sleeping...when he woke up to get me from work he found Davidson in the kitchen lifeless. He had a puddle of pee & a puddle of saliva by him and his tail was all puffy. It could either have been a spider or scorpion or even a seizure. I'm having an autopsy done because he was so healthy. I'm having such a hard time with this.

Any ideas?


3.0.2 White's Tree Frogs
0.1.0 Pac Man Frog
0.0.2 Waxy Monkey Frogs
0.2.0 Bearded Dragons
1.0.0 Cocker Spaniel
1.0.0 German Shepard
1.1.0 Cats
2.0.0 Cats - R.I.P Dakhota and Wolfgang
Al_frog
Member
873 posts
873 posts

# Posted: 2 Sep 2007 07:35


I would say it was poisoned, but that is just a personal reaction based on past stories I have heard.

mitomon
Member
1059 posts
1059 posts

# Posted: 2 Sep 2007 10:28


so sorry to hear,

what was the age of the cat ?, if the cat can access outside you home ?


best ribbit, And may the frog be with you
MitomoN


ACF
GTF
WTF
BETTA
schlegelbagel
Member
1039 posts
1039 posts

# Posted: 2 Sep 2007 13:08


I agree with Al. Sounds like he got into some sort of chemical, like antifreeze, bug killer, or house cleaning products.

Sorry to hear about the cat. kitties are my first life before froggies.


My name is Liz and I'm a frogaholic
www.herpcenter.com
Charlie
Moderator
5431 posts
5431 posts

# Posted: 2 Sep 2007 13:47


peed, puffed, and drooling... electrocution? check appliance wires.

second guess... ingesting a toxic plant.


We can never go back to the way it was...
KittenClaw22
Member
4924 posts4924 posts
# Posted: 2 Sep 2007 16:26


Could it be that one of the neighbors used rat or mouse poison, the mice ingested and left the house to go to your house where the cat ate some or all of the dying mouse...

Mouse poison + cat eating mouse = Dead cat.

Some laundry detergent can smell like lemon and be fatal if ingested... Some cats really love to eat the house plants and planty smelling things, so there is another possibility.

Was the cat acting normally before it died? Most poisons would take quite a while to kill a cat unless he ingested quite a lot.


Heather
Moderator
7561 posts
7561 posts

# Posted: 2 Sep 2007 17:09


I immediately thought the same as Charlie... check wires. Kitty may have bitten a cord or something.


* Heather *

1.1.0 Dendrobate Azureus
Dakhota
Member
3302 posts
3302 posts

# Posted: 2 Sep 2007 19:04


I've sent my girlfriend a link to the site so she can read these responses. Thanks so much for the input!


3.0.2 White's Tree Frogs
0.1.0 Pac Man Frog
0.0.2 Waxy Monkey Frogs
0.2.0 Bearded Dragons
1.0.0 Cocker Spaniel
1.0.0 German Shepard
1.1.0 Cats
2.0.0 Cats - R.I.P Dakhota and Wolfgang
schlegelbagel
Member
1039 posts
1039 posts

# Posted: 3 Sep 2007 00:28


my kitty has chewed on wires before. The result was two little sores on the corners of his mouth. Never resulted in death, I'm sure he got a little jolt though.


My name is Liz and I'm a frogaholic
www.herpcenter.com
Charlie
Moderator
5431 posts
5431 posts

# Posted: 3 Sep 2007 02:17


I know folks who have had a cats head explode behind the fridge from chewing on the wire. Amperage of the appliance, and working load has an definite impact on the amount of damage done.

Example: A blender can have power (current) going to it constantly, but it is not under load (drawing amps) unless it is turned on.

If chewed on, said blender can still shock you if you complete the circut. Now if you turn it on, the amount of power it is drawing increases. Measurement of the current being pulled is an ampere. The more amperes flowing through the line, the more damage the circut can do to a living body.

120 vac (voltage a/c current - same thing thats powers most small appliances) under no ampere load creates a moderate tingling sensation in ones body, and if you grab a circut with the inside of your hand, or in your mouth it will override your nerves causing your muscles to seize up and grab the electrical circut. Where as 240+ vac has a tendency to throw whatever limb that touches it away from the circut, and possibly create severe burn marks.

In my electrical experience, I have felt the wrath of 120/240/277 vac. While 240/277 vac hurts like hell for a short time usually... 120 vac tends to hurt less at the contact point, and drive through your nervous system crating pain in other locations of the body.

Catching one hand can be painful, closing a circut with two hands passes the current through your heart, and can be fatal in some instances.

I do not have the chart memorized for the amount of amerage required to be fatal in a human, so I have done the footwork on the internet rather than transcribing it from one of my textbooks/safty guides.

Here is a link to wikipedia giving a more in depth definition:
Electrical Shock Fatality Information

Although I just ran on about electric, I am not saying that that is the 100% reason the cat is no more. Just clarifying a little bit.

Ultimately, the only way to be positive as to why the cat passed is to have a necropsy done on it at this point unless you can identify it yourself by home investigation.


We can never go back to the way it was...
KittenClaw22
Member
4924 posts4924 posts
# Posted: 3 Sep 2007 15:07


But it would be rather obvious if it were caused from electric shock... As the cat would be sitting next to chewed wires.

If the cat got shocked hard enough to die, it would be relatively instant.


Charlie
Moderator
5431 posts
5431 posts

# Posted: 3 Sep 2007 18:13


If you want to get technical... not necessarily, though it is possible to drop dead on the spot... It often throws the thing getting shocked. An electric shock can create a heart malfunction, causing the heart to no beat properly, like a heart attack. If the shock was great enough also, it could do things such as make hair stand up, and throw a body across a room. Let's not chime in on subjects that we have little expertise in Sarah. I have been working with electric for close to 15 years now.


We can never go back to the way it was...
Dakhota
Member
3302 posts
3302 posts

# Posted: 3 Sep 2007 19:24


I am anxious to hear the autopsy results. I'll fill you in on them!


3.0.2 White's Tree Frogs
0.1.0 Pac Man Frog
0.0.2 Waxy Monkey Frogs
0.2.0 Bearded Dragons
1.0.0 Cocker Spaniel
1.0.0 German Shepard
1.1.0 Cats
2.0.0 Cats - R.I.P Dakhota and Wolfgang
Your answer

Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link                    Disable BB codes *What's that?

 » Name  » Password 
 Only registered users can post here. Enter your login/password correctly before posting a message, or register first.
 

talk to the frog / General chat / Mysterious Cat Death
 · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search · Post Count morphs


Powered by miniBB forum software © 2001-2014